Saturday, December 1, 2007

Thanksgiving 2007

Thanksgiving 2007
Thanksgiving was nice this year, but still filled with a bit of drama. The day before, Lainie had just gotten here and I was giving the boys their lunch.
I was making the boys their nuggets and of course they were going bonkers and couldn't wait for the nuggets to cool. So I grab a paper plate and begin to fan the nuggets. Once they were cool, I was fooling around and fanned the kids in their face. Jake asked if he could 'cool my face'. Okay...well, two seconds later I'm writhing in pain on the floor after Jake accidentally slices my OPEN eye with the paper plate. Aside from labor, this is the most pain I have ever been in. I couldn't open my eye, it wouldn't stop tearing, and it felt like a bee was trapped under my eye lid and was just stinging away. So I call spike, he has the brilliant suggestion to go to the doctor.

A few hours later and it turns out I have a superficial tear across the entire center of my eye. I have to put antibiotic drops in 4 times a day and pain killer drops in as well. I also have an eye lubricant and the best of all...the cherry on the eye injury sundae....a patch! I have to keep my eye closed for 2 days (blinking is bad) so I have a self adhesive patch, which is like stronger than a band-aid and hurts like hell when I tear it off my eye each time I have to apply medicine.

Yippee. Thank god Lainie had just gotten home when it happened and in a bizarre twist, my dad was home, too. So my dad took me to the dr, while Lainie stayed with the boys.

At least I didn't have 100 people coming for thanksgiving the next day.

Thanksgiving day, I was pretty out of commission. I know it was an eye injury, but I felt like crap all over. I still had very blurred vision out that eye and no depth perception. So basically, I was useless. Luckily, Tara and Lainie took over cooking and we had a great day with tons of food. We slow roasted the bird again and it came out pretty good. I forced Jake to watch the parade. He actually got excited when Santa arrived. Hard to explain that it's another month or so until he actually comes to the house.

No comments: